Sunday, February 10, 2013

An Organization of All This Stuff

We have encountered many ethical theories up to this point and, in order to remember all this stuff(as well as trace relationships and overlaps), I feel an organization of this stuff is really helping me out. Some housekeeping for the mind is required. I, personally, have organized my theories from the order of most related to material things on bottom(like utilitarianism), to the most immaterial things on the top(like virtue ethics). There are some curve-balls thrown in there like ethical egoism and moral luck. But, overall, there is a general ranking between these philosophies. Consequential-ism seems to underlie many of these disciplines so I kinda just threw it under everything.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like for you to unpack this notion of "material" that you are using as a scale or spectrum. It's interesting. I just don't quite get it.

    ReplyDelete