Saturday, September 18, 2010

Zeno's paradoxes

I continued the conversation that we had in PHI 311 today with a few friends at dinner. I explained the paradoxes to them and we decided we very well might make 4 shirts that each have a paradox on it and that say "Logic: You're doing it wrong."

It's rationalist stupidity like what Zeno presents, that follow only in the mind and not in reality, that make Aristotle's Formal Logic necessary. I really believe that he looked at Zeno's arguments and said, "That's just wrong, we need to make some laws against that," and proceeded to do so. My friends would like me to say here how strange it is that I hate this man so much. My mom says that it's probably a past- life thing, but I choose to believe that I love logic so much that there is no way around absolutely hating Zeno.

My friends agreed and we have no idea why someone like Zeno is famous as a philosopher. I don't think he even accurately presented his teacher, Parmenides', arguments. Socrates is asking him how he is even trying to defend his teacher's philosophy, and if it's not clear to someone like Socrates, then you are not presenting your argument in a logical way (or clearly defined your terms).Here's a quote straight from the horse's mouth: "If place exists, where is it? For everything that exists is in a place. therefore, place is in a place. this goes on to infinity. Therefore, place does not exist." (A Presocratic Reader 77). This man is made of stupid. Grrrr and Arg!!! Enough said.

1 comment: