Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Society

In my political philosophy we had the most interesting discussion about Machiavelli’s book the prince. One of the issues we skimmed was the idea that we all have this need to understand who we are and where we come from. Although I am sure the question has been endlessly debated, I am still curious to know your opinions on that subject. Why did we create society?
I personally believe it’s merely because we cannot help it. A basic fact about us is that we learn; we do so whether we want it or not. Our minds registers behavior, studies our surrounding, and adapt. It is impossible to not remember that fire burns once we experience it; it is even more difficult to not remember our reaction to later. It is safe than to say that a normal human being who has experience a displeasing effect automatically rebels against the cause or tend to try and control the terms within it which it happens again. We learn and feed off each other ideas consciously or unconsciously we are each other’s mentions. We create society simply because we felt once the need to adapt our circumstances to our surrounding. Does it make any sense?

1 comment:

  1. I am ashamed to say I am not familiar with this book by Machiavelli, so I am a bit confused of how you are exactly defining society. When you jumped from the idea of "we all have this need to understand who we are and where we come from" to "why did we create society," I fell upon a bit of confusion. I mean obviously there is a connection here because you wouldn't have put the two ideas together otherwise, but I think, I am somewhat missing an understanding of the idea of society present in this piece. Can you clarify for me?

    ReplyDelete