Sunday, April 7, 2013

Ever right to kill?

I thought about this the other day and thought about previous discussions regarding deontological rules of morality.  I was trying to figure out if someone who believes it's never right to kill can possibly make an exception.  If a rapist or murderer is wearing full body armor on everything except his head and neck, can you justify killing him to stop him?  This is assuming the person in the position is a trained marksman who can't get to the  person in the act of the crime by foot (he's on top of a building or something to that effect).  

2 comments:

  1. I think the only time that it's right to kill is in self-defense. Killing murderers or rapists doesn't necessarily punish them as effectively as non-lethal alternatives. While people may think that murderers and rapists do not deserve to live, this "eye for an eye" mentality doesn't seem quite right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a person who thinks that killing is wrong for any reason, so I don't have the view you're looking for, but as I've been following the gun control debate going on currently, I've seen several videos posted to YouTube with anti-gun people saying that they would rather be killed or raped than kill somebody else, no matter what. There are a lot of people who truly believe that killing is wrong, even in self defense, and in your scenario would no more pull that trigger to save someone else than they would pull it to save themselves.

    ReplyDelete