Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Philosophy of Class Registration

So, I had advising today. I like the advising process—it's sort of a plan for your future, yes, but beyond that, it's a statement of what you're interested in (yes, I suppose those two often intersect, but not always). It made me consider a few philosophical questions: for example, in planning for our future, we necessarily must limit ourselves. To that end, should we accept the limitations and focus on one particular field, in which (I would assume) one would excel? Or should one diversify, attempting to experience everything, and perhaps be less talented in all other areas?

On a side note, I know what Socrates would say—diversification is, if not the height of folly, at least the upper-middle. For him, it's necessary to focus so one can devote all energies to one task.

Or another idea—registration is a plan for the future. But to what extent is that future set? I don't really mean this to be a religious, destiny-type argument—instead, look at it educationally. In theory, registration states that you'll pay attention to that area of study, learn it all, and then apply it. Does that mean that one will stop learning other fields?

The easiest answer is no, of course not, but the easy answer is not always the correct one. To be honest, this is the mindset I see quite often: “I'll learn what I need to do, and then I'm done,” as if learning was something that could be turned off, like water from a hose. Certainly learning must never stop—this being the case, is the registration process as philosophically sound as it could/should be?

6 comments:

  1. I have asked myself some of the same questions. This biggest question that pops up for me is what am I going to do after I graduate? Yes of course I have my family and everything, but I want to do more than just go to work and go home everyday. I have to stimulate my mind everyday with reading, learning, and discussion. I will probably continue taking college classes my entire life. I don't feel productive unless I'm in school. I will probably never have a Ph.D, but I'm planning on having multiple bachelors degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree with Brandon on this one. I want to become a professor pretty much so that I can stay in academia, though college is not the only way of learning it is the way that I enjoy the most. But I do believe that people who are not planning on continuing their educations or stay in academia in one way or another, tend to stop trying to learn, especially if it doesn't apply to their job, and they lose what they have learned when they don't use it in their jobs every day. I can't imagine being happy if I don't continue the learning process. But, honestly, people do try to turn off their hoses.
    Even though it really is impossible to stop learning altogether, we have this idea set in our minds through the capitalist system that says that we know what we need to know when we get out of college, and we shouldn't bother to learn anything else. Through the capitalist system we are taught to focus on one interest, and to make that interest our lives in order to be very good at that skill, so that we make our society a better place to live. However, I am, as very many people are, both good at and interested in many things that I will never be able to do as a job, such as singing, or environmental sciences, as I have already chosen exactly what I want to study and what I want my job to be. However, I think the out from this problem is retirement. Since the retirement age is still 60, and people are living closer and closer to 100 years, people often have time for a second career in their lifetimes as long as they are still healthy and able to work at that age. Right now, I am planning on going to grad school, eventually getting my doctorate, and becoming a professor, but eventually one day I would like to run a restaurant and continue to do run my jewelry business. I would also like to make time, maybe when I am a professor, to go to school for environmental engineering. There are ways to do the things that you love to do, but in this society a person can't do all of them.
    Taking your own time to learn something through reading, or experience, volunteering, or taking more college classes, are a few ways to explore the things that you never thought you would have time for.
    We are defined by our society right now by what we are studying, and later by our job title, but I want to remind people that some people do switch tracks. I find that the people who do pursue their many interests are often more balanced and happy with their lives and are more well- rounded.
    This decision depends largely on what your goals for your life are. Is it important to you to explore yourself and your areas of interest, or is it important to you to climb the ladder and make money for your family? It's a hard question, but an important one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJvOI8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not quite a cynical as the prof in the link, but she has a point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. informative, and also true. However, at least I have lots of job experience and things to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lotsa comments. Cool.

    Kris, I wasn't really thinking about this in economic terms, but that makes a lot of sense. I mean, school costs money, so maybe learning is a function of what job you get. I mean, that sounds easy, but like I said, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete